Linux: Organizing my life
I'm starting to put little programs in my crontab file so that it executes once in a while. The things I have setup are:
- Local movies. A little Python program that I wrote a while ago, which I need to update because the site changed format, which grabs the Movie listing from a web site and filters out the ones that are local to my area. Once a week on Thursdays it e-mail me the listing, here's a sample:
Cinemark Pátio Savassi
Sala 01: "Deu Zebra" 11h10 - 13h30 (dublado)
Original title: Racing Stripes [Comédia,Infantil]
Director: Frederik Du Chan Actors: Bruce Greenwood, Hayden Panettiere, Caspar Poyck, Gary Bullock http://cinema.terra.com.br/ficha/0,,TIC-OI5569-MNfilmes,00.html
Sala 01: "Virgem de 40 Anos" 15h50 - 18h20 - 21h10 - 23h50* (*apenas 07, 08 e 11/10)
Original title: The 40 Year-Old Virgin [Comédia]
Director: Judd Apatow Actors: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco http://cinema.terra.com.br/ficha/0,,TIC-OI5565-MNfilmes,00.html
- TV Listings. Once a day I have it grab the next three days of TV listings using pyTvGrab. Then I have another program which can grab the shows I'm interested in so I can set to record it with my SkyTV box.
- Link checker. Once a day I check my website(s) for broken links using LinkChecker.
- Once a week I have a python program that grabs my del.icio.us links from the previous week and e-mails it to me so I can paste it into my blog. I may get around to it posting it automatically.
- I have deamon keeping track of the temperature of my computer and will send me an e-mail if it gets too hot. It also monitors SMART to see if I'm getting close to hard drive failure.
- Backup, I don't have this setup, but I'd like it to backup my files to another computer and maybe create DVD backups as well.